The Past



The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.

L. P. Hartley   1895-1972 

Friday 9 July 2010

Manchester Cathedral



This was where my great-grandparents were married on the 30th January 1871 - Manchester Cathedral.

Gosh - married in a cathedral !!!

No not grand - the cathedral served the area as a parish church and in those days they did "block weddings" - up to 30 couples could be married in one afternoon session - just like being on a conveyor belt.





The happy couple were immigrants from North Wales - James Whitford Francis and a good old welsh name Elizabeth Jones.

I wonder what they thought of the city after living near Mold ?

.

2 comments:

Shayla said...

It looks a nice old building.

Green Jeannie said...

How lovely you have been able to trace where they were married etc, my grandparents, well I wouldn't know where to start.......

I don't even know where they are buried which I find really sad.

No-one to ask now either.

On this happy note, I will leave! Have a good weekend! GJ

Penguins - move your cursor and take them for a walk !!

Say it as it is ......


Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land amongst the stars.

Look around !!!

What is this life, full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare?


W. H. Davies  1870-1940