The Past



The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.

L. P. Hartley   1895-1972 

Sunday 12 October 2008

Monochrome Monday - 13th October


Another Monochrome Monday and another blast from the past.

This is my aunt Lily in her Girl Guides uniform and I would guess that the picture was taken in Chorlton, Manchester in the early 1950's.


She was a Girl Guide leader and a Sunday School teacher for many years and I would imagine that she's about forty years of age in this photo.

I do think the uniform design has changed quite a bit since those days !!! 

4 comments:

Leslie: said...

Cool shot! I was a girl guide, too, but my uniform was a dress rather than top and skirt. Gee, this takes me back - but not that far! lol

Anonymous said...

I think you are right about the uniform. Your aunt looks somewhat uncomfortable for the camera which is pretty much a thing of the past with the ever present lens, these days.

Jane Hards Photography said...

My girl guide uniform certainly did not resemble this. Very personal mono shot.

Jules said...

Hi from rabaul - I love this photo!!! My Mum was a girl guide when she was a child/teenager in the 1930/40s - the uniform looks the same. Not sure how the uniform looks now though.

Penguins - move your cursor and take them for a walk !!

Say it as it is ......


Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land amongst the stars.

Look around !!!

What is this life, full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare?


W. H. Davies  1870-1940